Friday, January 25, 2013

FINDING TREASURE



“ALL MEMBERS OF POST’S JUNIOR DETECTIVE CORPS EAT PLENTY OF POST TOASTIES TO HELP KEEP THEIR BODIES STRONG AND THEIR MINDS ALERT”




This fell right in my lap.  While cleaning and sorting things after my mom’s death a few months ago, I came across an envelope from Battle Creek Michigan.  It was paid by US Postage Permit #52 and marked: CONFIDENTIAL.

“What’s this?”  I asked Dad, picking up a slightly yellowed envelope.



Inside, copyright 1932 was an original membership book for the POST’S JUNIOR DETECTIVE CORPS.  (Manual No. 1 For Detectives, Edited by Inspector General Post)



My Dad was born in 1928, so he would have been four years old when this came out. The address on the envelope wasn't his, so it was either given to him or requested by someone else in his behalf.  He couldn't remember, but for whatever reason, he still had his membership at age 84.I skimmed through the book. 


 “Would you like to have that?”  Dad asked.


couldn't keep my fingers from twitching.  I’d gone through clothes and books, looked through jewelry and other personal items, but nothing pressed the “need to have” button like the contents of this little black and white booklet. It’s the curse of someone who loves to write historical fiction and loves a good find.



Finding clues:             
Footprints
Written Message
Blotters
Forgeries
Things Left Behind


I flipped excitedly through the book.  In a black box set off by itself at the bottom of one of the pages:


SPECIAL ORDER by Inspector Post “You are forbidden to play detective games with guns, pistols, revolvers, knives or any other weapon that may cause injury.” It went on to explain about not playing with guns and ended: “Don’t ever disobey this rule.”



Still holding the mailing envelope in one hand, something crinkled.  I looked inside and spotted another much smaller envelope.  I opened it carefully.  Wrapped in beige colored tissue paper was a shiny detective badge.  DETECTIVE POST’S J. D. C.

Wow. 

It was hard not to place that badge on a young character for a book.  It would have been the depression years when eating cereal from General Foods and sending in the box tops might have been the only way to get something new.

A full blown character came to mind…a precocious young boy and a neighborhood full of kids. They might have lived in Rockvale, Colorado where the packet was addressed to, or maybe in Denver or some other town.

The character could also have been my 84 year old dad when he was younger.  Someone who walked to school carrying a French horn, wore glasses, wanted to play football, but whose mom thought it was too dangerous…

I looked over at Dad, blinked and traveled back all those years in my imagination, suddenly knowing something about him I never would have seen without the envelope in my hand.  Instead of an 84 year old man, I saw the young boy: Junior Detective # 66954 





Somehow it brought me closer.  







I wrote earlier about whether story ideas find you or you find the story.  Ideas are everywhere, but the ones that capture your imagination and fill you with excitement are the very best…whether you end up writing about them or not.

Thanks, Dad.





6 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely story, Nancy--and lucky you! I can remember sending off for similar things when I was a child, somewhat later than your Dad I hasten to say. I so wish I'd kept some of that stuff now. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea,

      I remember sending off for cereal promotions, too. I can still remember the waiting and the anticipation for my "stuff" to come. My parents were both "savers" so there are probably some surprises to come. But, oh my, how do yu decide what to keep and what to throw, and where do you store everything???

      Thanks for visiting. N.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful discovery, Nance! and what a lovely remembrance for your dad, and another link forged with him..... Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Eileen. And thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post! I can just imagine the plot ideas that are flooding your brain. Best of luck in creating this story.
    (FYI: I found you through LinkedIn's "Got a Blog/Site - Post It Here" group.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandy,

    Glad you found me. Yes, the ideas are flooding, more than I have time to write, but as they say...one word at a time. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete