Thursday, January 10, 2013

Getting Hitched to a Genre.


Or Why Historical Fiction?  

Does a genre find you, or do you find the genre.  A little of both, I think.  All of us have reasons to write with either imagined or a “real” audience.  Initially my audience was very small, very real, and very personal. 

It was me. 

I won’t bore you with examples of high school drivel, meant to sooth wounds, or reach out to someone who wouldn't see the words in the first place.  There are plenty of those samples still around, tucked in a ragged file folder or hidden between the pages of an old journal.  And there are samples of greeting cards made for family members, and short articles written for a neighborhood newspaper, named the Saturday Blah.  I’m not sure if at that stage, I had any audience in mind, but the carbon-copied newspaper was the “Social Media” of the neighborhood, and I very much wanted to be a part of that lively enterprise. 



In college, besides a myriad of papers written for a specific audience, the professor, I created a few things for personal friends, but without the intention of them going much farther than that.   A short book about finding the importance of life became what I called my first “cardboard cover books”.  These books had very narrow intended audiences: my boyfriend, my stepson, and the children of our neighbors.  They used stick figure illustrations, and were housed between—you guessed it—two pieces of cardboard hooked together with snap-together binder rings.








The feedback for these books was very unambiguous and endearing.  And the joy and fulfillment of writing un-edited and un-censored projects (that I had full control over) was pretty much unrivaled by anything I've created since.  But having a bigger audience niggled at me, and the last of these cardboard books, which was written one chapter at a time and mailed out one section per month throughout the school year from birthday to birthday to my stepson in Billings, Montana became a springboard towards publication.


Not exactly a springboard.  This particular book was rewritten after every few rejections, and it was turned down thirty-five times before it was picked up by Scholastic Tab in Canada.  It stayed in print for five years, was reprinted under a new title and stayed in print another five years.  To date, it sold more copies than any of my other titles put together.  Praise be to Scholastic Book Clubs.  Praise be to tenacity.  Every draft improved the book. (It had a long way to go.)


So, why historical fiction? Did the genre choose me, or did I choose the genre? 


Two things:  (And one of them isn't that I’m now old enough for my birthday to be in an era of its own.)

First, during my adult life I have had the good fortune to live in rural areas both in Colorado and British Columbia that are rich in history and lived-wired to the past.  By this, I mean the path is still traceable and easy to follow via a relatively stable community of people who remember the stories of parents and grandparents who have lived in the area and remember the stories told to them by their families about floods, droughts, tragedies, disasters, births, deaths, celebrations, and other stories of the past, rooted in the land and the people that lived there.  
Dad on his horse on his grandparents about 1936

Family stories exist in urban areas, but the trail to discovery is less overgrown by the thick underbrush of packed calendars or social engagements focused on sports and media entertainment.  It’s more likely in rural settings for conversations to drift from the details of the day’s horseback ride or cattle check to the history of the people that traversed the same trails at an earlier time.  The geography and topography of our everyday living seems to link more directly to the past.  Or at least the past 150 years, which is where my focus lies. And although perspectives on history change, the facts and lifestyle information remain relatively constant.

Great grandparents family in front of stone house they built.

The second reason for “choosing” the genre of historical fiction is rooted in practicality.  Until recently I have worked full time, and the day to day demands of teaching, decreased the time available to research, write and publish a book. This pretty much eliminated any possibility of keeping up on contemporary stories, or something more timely like vampires, paranormal, or an interesting combination therefore.  I long ago figured out that I am not a “trendy" kind of person. I never seem to be able to keep up. 




Now is a different time in my life and the world at large, with blogging, social media, marketing, and a myriad of other things around our family ranch to sidetrack me from writing goals. Many days it seems like I still can't keep up which still makes Historical Fiction a perfect fit. And I’ll never have to worry about being passe. 

6 comments:

  1. Love this. In college I put out a 'bathroom' newspaper for my dorm that became popular and was posted in the remaining dorms bathroom stalls. It was quite fun. I had forgotten about doing that until I read your post. Thanks for the memories.
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bathroom newspaper? How fun. A year or so ago, I was in a bathroom in one of the buildings at CSU Pueblo and they used the stall door to post a flyer of college events. You must have been the starter of the trend. Who knew?

      Delete
  2. Historical fiction IS a perfect fit for you, but not because you are not trendy. It fits because you understand & appreciate what came before and you seek to understand the lives -- the real lives -- of the people who populated the past. I love your books and your writing. (one voice among many fans!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Doris, I certainly am relieved you like my books. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this Nancy. I write historical fiction because I love the genre, especially the stories set in the West and Mid-west. I grew up in Montana when the history of the west seemed to linger and the trails of the past had not yet gone cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Eunice. I'm a Colorado native, but have always thought Montana had the same (if not more) western allure. For me it's really fun to write about places you've lived in or been. Nice to have a "genre" friend.

    ReplyDelete