Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Mind Sparks: Lighting the way into the New Year


OR

Ideas that stick like strands of gray hair to a black sweater.

When I think back to the moments book writing topics come alive for me, I can usually pin point them pretty closely.   For instance, I remember the photo of my nephew and stepson in their baseball t-shirts, holding equipment and smiling into the camera in my brother-in-laws, back yard.  A whole story came from that one photo and the ideas it generated and eventually led to my first published book: The Insect Zoo and the Wildcat Hero…later published as Bees, Bugs, and Baseball Bats.

Another example is seeing the original Dog Soldier Ledger book art in the Denver History Museum for the first time.  It’s true I was actively in search of information for a new book, but this particular museum display and one nearby showing a Cheyenne Dog Rope led me down the trail of the Cheyenne culture and eventually to the events of the Sand Creek Massacre.

More recently, a mine tour down the Molly Kathleen Mine in Cripple Creek, spurred my interest in donkeys and their importance to Cripple Creek miners.  Maude Oliver, a fine specimen of a donkey, and her eleven year owner, are currently living a life of their own on the pages of Rescue in Poverty Gulch.  (LIKE Maude Oliver on FB)  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maude-Oliver/264720393591461?ref=hl


 


     
The exact moment of the spark is hard to describe, but I recognize when my mind smiles; it feels like the figurative moment when you reach for the golden ring and wrap your fingers around it…just before the pull.

Of course, there is that “pull” to deal with afterwards. A book can’t be produced from a single “ah-ha” moment.  The fictional path is filled with research, combinations of ideas, twists, turns, ruminations, false starts, stall outs, and sometimes the  magical days of wind surfing.  All of the above and more, but without that first flicker, the fire never kindles. Hold the match and reach out.  You’ll know when the flame starts dancing in your mind.

8 comments:

  1. I remember reading historical fiction when I was in grade school. It was exciting reading and it is still my favorite genre. That early exposure has sparked a life-time interest in history and story-telling. Thanks for putting out such great stories. You'll never know how many fires of interest you are sparking through your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PreK Pam,

      Welcome. When I studied history in school,all I remember is dates and more dates. It wasn't until I was an adult and learned more about the people behind those dates, the I caught the "bug" and fell in love with history and the genre. I do hope some "history" fires have flared up with my readers.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Nancy! Recognizing exactly when/how an idea takes root is fascinating! I love your description of the actual writing, too, and your metaphor at the end is perfect! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam. Me thinks you know a lot about this yourself. I finished Kissing Shakespeare and loved it.

      Delete
  3. I love this post Nancy. It resonates with me and how I feel stories. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for visiting, Dori. So glad it connected for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting and so true. Those sparks either lead us on to write about that particular subject or lead us on past to another story, another time, another place. I love the surprises in writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Eunice. I agree, the surprises are so much fun. I bet there's another blog on that topic! Flip for it?

      Delete